Sunday, November 25, 2012

Artfully Meandering: ansas Prairie Adventure in the Flint Hills

There is nothing like getting off the anonymous conveyor belt of a highway. I paid the toll and turned onto the road to Council Grove, Kansas. As my car climbed the first flint hill, I felt the thrum of my heart increase with the thrill of re-discovering the beautiful prairie of Kansas.

Don't you love the romance of a ribbon of road rippling among the swells and troughs of the sea of rich soil?

Iron silhouettes installed on a hill... startlingly lifelike when you first see them...

Washes drizzled through the valleys where the hills meet. Soil eroded from heavy rain... just like I always imagined described in a Louis L'Amour novel.

A derelict home...

Big, beautiful prairie sky. The sweep of clouds was astonishing. I love photographs like this. It amazes me that I was able to capture a mere sliver of the grandeur. This is just how magnificent the sky was... no photoshop, no manipulation whatsoever.

And a glimpse of work yet to be done...

One my friends said she thought the prairie was "romantic..." after today's little adventure, I'm in full agreement!













No comments:

Post a Comment