Monday, September 7, 2009

Hong Kong Chronicles: Transitioning

As I was sweeping up the dust of the dreams from my first home in Hong Kong SAR (Special Administrative Region), China, the memories washed over me. Memories of arriving to my first home in a rural village on Hong Kong, a village trapped between centuries.

Things I will miss: although Hong Kong itself skipped the bicycle generation, Mui Wo didn’t. Bicycles are a primary form of transportation around town. The laid back atmosphere. People didn’t hurry. Seafood restaurants overlooking the bay. The ex-pats who escaped city life. The rural villagers who were born and raised there for generations. The frogs and birds who were louder than the sounds of “civilization.” Living in the shadow of Lin Fa Shan (mountain). Watching the locals digging for clams on the mud flats during low tide. The peaceful walks. The coffee shop with THE best coffee. The restaurant with THE best lemonade. Walking Molly around my village, Tai Tei Tong. Mui Wo is very “me”…simple, country, unpretentious. You do a lot for yourself…I toted many an awkward item up the gentle grade to my flat on my bike.

But, I have my footing in Hong Kong now. Mui Wo served its purpose to help me transition from US life to Hong Kong life. And I have health needs that make living closer more desirable. I found a nice flat that is near the center of my activities and it’s only a 30 minute bus ride to work. I now live in a luxury flat with stunning views. Luxury? Me? I SO don’t belong here…at least that’s how I feel right now. It has the feeling and amenities of a 5-star hotel. Again, I never feel like I belong in that setting. However, I’m sure I will “cope.” So, much as I miss Mui Wo…this is what I look at when I’m at home, so it’s hard to feel too bad for me (ha, ha!).

The view out of my living room window...


The night view from the living room.
I'm having to experiment with my new photo setup. The scenery keeps upstaging my jewelry, so I'll have to experiment with how to get better photos, lighting, backgrounds, etc.

4 comments:

  1. how exciting for you! the views are lovely... and i think you've found a stunning place/time to photograph...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Jenn love...STUNNING views out your living room & of your NEWEST design!!! Great work...Just take my wallet...my checkbook...my savings...my retirement...i love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What amazing views - I don't think I would ever tire of looking out of my window if I lived there. Do you get use of the swimming pool shown in the first pic?
    Hope you have fun there and find great coffee and lemonade and even get to ride your bicycle!
    Kristin :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I don't have to say anything... you know how I feel! Love it! I hope you get to feeling settled soon. :0 )

    ReplyDelete