Sunday, June 28, 2009

Studio Time: The Dalmation Wears Lipstick

I was trying to figure out what movie I was in the mood to watch the other night. It was a toss-up between Monty Python's The Holy Grail and Mansfield Park.



Does anyone else have this struggle?


Anyway, I find I'm a silly mix of characteristics: 30% pragmatic (it varies daily), 30-40% creative (again varies daily...and this is an aspect of my life I've only recently unleashed), 6% poet, 12% nonsense, 8% humor, and the rest TBD.

Anyway, today's jewelry is a bit of nonsense--I decided to name it

The Dalmation Wears Lipstick

If Pongo took his Missis Pongo out on a date, this is the perfect set that would complement a Dalmation couple. Missis Pongo would dress up in her best red collar with these beads adorning the collar and her bright, beautiful Dalmation fur. An evening of wining, dining, and dancing for a handsome couple.










On the serious side...oh, never mind...this isn't a serious set. It's a perfectly quirky set. Originally inspired by black and white polka dot shoes with red toes and red heels, this is an 18-inch necklace with one of my floral disks dangling at approximately 1.5 inches. It is completely handmade by me. The dalmation spotted beads, the red spacers (in dreamy Sangre red), with three floral disks and one Cruella DeVil organic disk (spotted on one side and white on the back side) are individually handmade, kiln-annealed, and cleaned by me. It's strung up on coils of silver with hand-hammered eye-loops. It is paired with a simple set of earrings that hang 1.75 inches from the drop.

Because I make one-of-a-kind pieces and usually don't repeat the same exact design, I always do a "test-wearing" to make sure it's comfortable, it hangs right, doesn't get twisted up during the day, and there are no uncomfortable, pointy metal ends sticking out. And it wears beautifully. Despite being slightly quirky, it's actually really cute worn...it would look fabulous with a button-down, scoop-neck or v-neck shirt.

The set will be available for $140 in my Artfire shop.

4 comments:

  1. ...WOW...today you are 100%...CREATIVE...

    this is GORGEOUS...

    just perfect for that simple, summer, little black dress, n'est pas???!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um....since I don't speak French, can I answer in Chinese? Dui!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute Jewelry, this would look great with a white sundress, for a summer party.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! Yes! Or a sassy little red dress...

    ReplyDelete